Expert Interview – Hedgehog Pie Cookery School and The Chocolate Tart
1) Please explain your journey as ‘The Hedgehog Pie Cookery School’ and ‘The Chocolate Tart’ so far.
I started Hedgehog Pie back in 1995 having worked at on of Londons top caterers for a number of years, I decided to take the plunge and branch out alone. The Chocolate Tart cookery school happened because I felt an obligation to share my chocolate knowledge with everyone and anyone! Hardly anyone knows how to make handmade chocolates.
2) What has been the biggest or most memorable event you’ve provided?
I cooked a dinner for the Queen in the presence of her senior judiciary. It was a private dinner in the House of Lords so I was introduced to her afterwards.
I’ve cooked for Princess Diana, Prince Charles, Margaret Thatcher, Pierce Brosnan, Pavarotti to name but a few!! I also had Benedict Cumberbatch work for me as a waiter for two years while he was trying to find acting work!
3) Is there any inside information you can give us?
Tempering chocolate is not something that can be learnt overnight. It takes time and practice to perfect it, but with my support and your patience you will become an expert chocolatier!
I love teaching my two hour class where one part of the class is working with coloured chocolate to make a hollow chocolate figure. Some of my students are very artistic and I am completely blown away by their imagination.
4) Do you have any exciting plans for the future that you’d like to tell us about?
We are planning to offer shoe and clutch bag classes!
5) What would you say is your most frequently asked question?
Why did you call you businesses The Chocolate Tart and Hedgehog Pie? !!
Why does my chocolate temper one day and not the next? The answer to that is practice, practice, practice !